Translate

Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Day in the Life Of...........

Sometimes I wonder what other people's lives look like. For the past week, I've had the luxury of being home before I start back to work next week teaching college writing, and also teaching ESL to three Japanese students, and one student from Columbia. I decided to write about a day like yesterday as a memory before I got busy again. I guess I am stopping to reflect when things are good.
I slept in late; 7:30 a.m. for me with a cool breeze coming through our bedroom windows. (We've needed very little air condition this summer.) I know it's about 7:30 by the position of the sun in relation to those same windows. When it gets above the half- way mark, it is past 7:30, and I have overslept. This morning I can already smell the fresh coffee brewing, thanks to Mike, and I walk out to our glass/screen porch where I find him already having read our med-size town paper, and deep into the Crossword Puzzle. By the time I sit down, Mike is ready to let me have a "go." Together we finish it over our coffee.
Today will be a perfect 82* so it is pleasantly cool as I hear, for the first time today, the cooing of our doves, Hank and Henrietta who live here year round except when they are vacationing in Florida. We live on a golf course, and by this hour, we can see the players up and down the fairways. Sometimes, very entertaining.
This morning, other than golfers, I see two young birds going back and forth from our Pine Tree with twigs in their mouths to build a nest. Seems like an odd time to be doing this; didn't they get the memo about Spring building? None the less, here they are building with intention. Perhaps we can expect off springs in the Fall, or perhaps they plan to "winter" here and are getting ready.
Today, Mike is driving out to help his brother on his farm. Harvest time is coming soon. He will come home oh, so dirty from working with farm equipment; he always showers before even saying hello which is fine with me! So, I am free to do whatever. (Sort of)
First, grocery shopping...ugh! One of my least favorite tasks! But necessary. Years ago, from my mother-in-law, I learned about Aldi's, a German based Grocery Store that is the most successful in the world. Here you can save at least 1/2 of your normal grocery bill. Guaranteed! Their secret? They only stock (usually) one brand of the most sought after products. You don't have to make all those choices, and their products are fresh and good...even their produce. I have been saving money here for years. I don't find everything I need, but I can get most things here. I am also fortunate to have two other food bonuses; "Garden on Wheels" who deliver fresh produce to my door every week (never know what I am getting which makes it fun and interesting...I try to use everything so have to head for the cook book now and then.) We also are blessed with having Barclay Beef from my husband's brother who raises farm fed cattle, grazed on grass without hormones. So, we try to eat pretty healthy, a challenge for many families today. This coupled with our own small garden of tomatoes (lots coming right now), lettuce, green beans and basil adds to the freshness of our diet.
Oh gosh, I got off track while talking about food. Easy for me to do! So, after a trip to Aldi's, I stopped at Penirra (sp?) for coffee and a bagal (lunch.) Back home; unpacked and put away groceries...double ugh! Threw in a load of wash; cleaned up the kitchen, made the bed and then thought, "what next?" Perhaps a walk...well no, how about a 1/2 hour rest with the good book I am reading (a mystery). Naps are highly underrated and really good for you. Nap won out even though I know that exercise is good for you also. But one just felt better than the other one.
After nap; thinking about "what for dinner?" Mike will come home VERY hungry so "throwing something together" is not an option. While I am thinking, the phone rings, my daughter Michelle inviting me to come over this week to go to lunch and do a little shopping together. Yes! Of course. I love spending time with my daughter Michelle! Back to dinner planning. O.K. how about a summer meal on the porch: hamburgers, green beans and tomatoes from our garden and corn on the cob. Great!
Rest of afternoon, I change over the laundry, prepare things for dinner (shuck corn), write out some bills to be paid, look at my e-mails (not enough from friends, and too many from advertisers!) and await my husband's return. Seldom do I watch T.V. although, my husband and I enjoy "Two and a Half Men."
Evening includes dinner together, conversation of the day, outside looking for golf balls in the high grass behind our house parallel to the golf course (Mike found six) and then off to bed early to read (my mystery again) before falling asleep. Since I am not a T.V. watcher, this is my usual routine unless something fabulous is on the Public Channel which yesterday was the "Mostly Mozart" symphony playing at Lincoln Center with Joshua Bell, violinist. Awesome!
I want to remember this day...so pleasant with little angst (except grocery shopping) as I will not always have one this delightful and peaceful. One of my favorite quotes: "Enjoy the ice cream while it's on your place!" What does a happy day for you look like???

1 comment:

Tom McBrearty said...

Ah...another hectic day in the life. Big Mike better get off that tractor and onto the golf course and hit those six balls. In either case, however, he'll enjoy your Barclay Beef burgers.