Translate

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rabbit Hash, Kentucky







How many times have we wanted to take the road less traveled; go down an unknown path or enjoy the mystery (and, or risk) of an unknown adventure? I think the human spirit craves this kind of thing, and so, without hesitation, I agreed to participate with my artist sister in an arts and crafts show in Rabbit Hash, Kentucky. If you live in Cincinnati where my sister lives, you get to Rabbit Hash by crossing the Ohio River and then going south on I75 until a turnoff that brings you right along the historical Ohio River on the Kentucky side. I say historical because this river, a little upstream from Cincinnati, was one of the main crossing places for the Underground Railroad where slaves were able (where the river was low and narrow) to cross over from a slave state to a free state. If you ever get to Cincinnati, be sure to visit the inspirational Underground Railroad Museum there, downtown right on the river. But I diverse. Back to Rabbit Hash....and getting there. The winding road you are on along the river narrows to one lane after you have passed beautiful horse farms with those wonderful white wood fences, and soon you are, almost without noticing, right in the middle of Rabbit Hash, a town with one General Store (above), one place to eat, and lots of charm, history and old stuff gathered in the one large antique store. Like so many places hidden away from theInterstate Highways we travel, this place is a treasure, and a slice of America that most of us never see as we race from one place to another. I am glad now that I know about Rabbit Hash, with its charm and beauty along the Ohio River, but it makes me wonder what other places I am missing as I hurry the highways. I am fortunate to live on the edge of the country amidst so many small farm towns and communities, yet, have the conveniences of a large town. I know what is beyond our highways, and it is worth getting off the Interstate now and then to take a look, and experience the wonder, life and beauty just over the horizon left and right....





No comments: