Translate

Friday, March 22, 2013

CAN SPRING BE FAR BEHIND?

I once read that lowering expectations can make you happier. An interesting concept, to be sure, and one which I entertained this past week on March 21st, the first OFFICIAL day of spring. Where I live here in the Midwest, it neither looked like spring nor felt like spring with cold, non-forgiving temperatures, and no buds be seen on the trees. The first sign of  REAL spring for me is always the few crocuses that still manage to push their way up into my yard each year. Until I see them, I am not convinced of this long awaited season. The second things I look for, or course, are the robins in the yard, pulling up worms or just hopping around in hopes of a tasty meal.. And finally, when the tulips and daffodils can bee seen one day in all their splendor and glory along with the forsythia and lilacs. Now that is the picture of Spring, for me!
When I was growing up, I was not so aware of the natural signs of spring. I was a city girl in Cincinnati, and other than the Magnolia trees in bloom, I think that, only warmer weather brought on the feelings of spring for me. Along with that, there was also the anticipation of going downtown Cincinnati to shop for a new Easter outfit and new Easter shoes, usually patten-leather,black and shinny! In the earlier years, it also included looking for an Easter hat (bonnet), and the song, "In Your Easter Bonnet, With All the Frills Upon It...." was sung with happy anticipation in our house.
But, it is the feeling  that I still get when Daylight Savings time changes to let more light into the afternoon and evening that brings on the greatest memories of spring-time for me. For it was in these longer day-light hours that we could remain outside, playing with our neighborhood friends, games of Tag, Kick the Can, Capture the Flag etc. If truth be known, this is what spring-time really meant to me, and the memory of it captures me with delight even today!

No comments: