Translate

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

HAVING FUN

I think that when they passed out the "FUN GENE," I was otherwise occupied. For better or worse, I inherited my Father's serious demeanor, unlike my Mother's which was all about Fun! I have had many enjoyable moments in life, and a great deal of happiness. But, FUN, not so much! I thought it would be "fun" to try to remember those moments in my life that were moments of  pure unabandoned bliss which is my definition of fun. As a young child, I remember how much fun I had on our family toboggan with my siblings, flying down our neighbor's snow-packed hill, one of my brothers yelling "lean to the left; lean to the right." Another really fun memory was playing Hide & Seek, Kick the Can, and Capture the Flag with the neighbor kids well into dark. I never wanted to come home. Riding the Roller-Coaster at Coney Island was sheer joy, excitement and fun! In High School, it was fun to prank my friends, listen to favorite 45s (Rock Around the Clock a favorite) and laugh with my girlfriends. The most fun I had in college was playing Bridge. At Marygrove College (definitely not fun) we use to get up to play Bridge at 4:30 a.m. before going to class. Sometimes, fun comes via a person you meet. Being in Africa, traveling, and visiting my friend, Peter Cervi was some of the most, non-stop fun I have ever had! Some people are just born with a sense of fun, and Peter is one of those people! He always makes me laugh!!! Living in the Homestead Farm neighborhood in Colorado was eight years of fun! From partying together, camping, skiing and sharing holidays, our friends there knew how to have fun and made it a priority! My list of fun moments began to wane when I moved back to the Midwest. I know that one must make there own fun, but with my personality, I need help! I am now in search of possibilities that will bring FUN back into my life. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome. 

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I only have that kind of fun with my grandchildren. I suppose that I need to have someone with that natural abandon (usually lost when leaving the realm of childhood) to instigate the fun. Many things that you mentioned as fun have been left behind because my body won't keep up. Nonetheless,I am now inspired by your belief that fun can still be part of our lives.

Mo Conlan said...

Hi, Gretta. I think I got more of the "serious" parent gene, as well. But I recall many of the childhood fun activities as you do. I find making art fun, but it is a quieter kind of fun. Yes, I do believe fun can still be part of our lives. We have to look for it. Blessed are those born with the gift of bringing fun to our world! Mo