Translate

Sunday, November 10, 2019

TIME FOR GRATITUDE

I think of November as the month of gratitude. Being thankful should not be relegated to
just Thanksgiving Day. I have found that every day provides opportunities to be grateful, whether I am aware or not. 
Years ago, I lived in a third world country, Tanzania, East Africa. At the boys' boarding school where I taught for two years, there was no electricity , no running water, no motorized vehicles,  no choices of food to eat (Ugali....breakfast, lunch & dinner) and no indoor plumbing. Taking a shower was a luxury that happened rarely, and soaking in a tub....never!
When I am thinking about it, I am grateful and thankful for the "simple" things I take for granted...things that 80% of the world's population do not have. I was born to a good family (ovarian  lottery) in the U.S. instead of Africa, something in itself to be grateful for. I can eat the foods I want; can get the medicines I need and have transportation to anywhere I need to go. I want to remember to be grateful, not just for a month, or Thanksgiving Day, but everyday to be more conscience and aware of my many privilages and blessings....and not complain if my dishwasher stops working!                                                                                                                            * Ugali: stiff Cream of Wheat cereal with 0 taste.                                                                                                                                          

No comments: