Translate

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Going to Michigan

August 23, 2008
Heading to Onekema, Michigan today where my family has had a summer home for over 60 years. "Going Up North" we have always said, and it is the most tranquil spot sitting in the woods overlooking Portage Lake, and only a stone's throw from the shores of Lake Michigan. It has a wide screened front porch where I can look through the trees and see the boats gliding across the water in full sail. I often do my best writing and thinking in this place, and when our time there is over, I lament coming back to the responsibilities of my life in the city. Years ago, I wrote a poem about leaving ........

Another Summer Season

The fog sits low on the lake
In mid-August
Something not visible
In June and July
Cold temperatures
Greet us each morning now
And signal the coming change
Of seasons from summer to fall
A melancholy time to say good-bye
To our cottage here
Until next year

But I want to linger
Like the fog on the lake
And hide in her elusive, mysterious arms
And not go back
To the noisy, clamoring responsibilities
Of the city

And I see
That the fog is moving on
Like me
Slowly, reluctant to leave
Moving over the water, above the trees
And hills beyond
That there is no hiding place here
And like the fog
I must be gone………………

No comments: