Translate

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas decorations are slowly getting put up this year after my husband and I have finally gotten over our nasty colds, or whatever seems to be going around the country these days. This is our little tree that sits in the corner of our dining room and cheers us up with its lovely white lights. The other picture (go to last entry, 2009 (64) to view) is an azalea plant I have been "nurturing" for several months, and I cannot believe how tall it has gotten. It is beginning to bloom, just in time for the Christmas season. I have been pouring over my Christmas cards, many that I made this year, and some that I have recycled. I cannot believe how much it is to send a card these days; 44 cents, but I cannot give up the tradition of connecting with the people who mean so much to me all year round, many who do not live near me, so yes, I will spend the 44 cents to let them know how much I love them, and how much they mean to my husband and myself. Cards, notes, and letter-writing is such a lost art, but it continues to be very meaningful to me, so I will resist as long as I can, just sending a one-liner via the Internet for special occasions. These have no meaning to me, as my guess is that they were giving about 30 seconds thought, and then on to the next busy activity. No wonder we live in a society of isolation. And, on this note, last Christmas I received in one of our Christmas cards, this lovely sentiment which I added to my card this year, and I think it demonstrates what I am trying to say here. As I wrote each card this year, I spent time thinking about that person, and what they mean to me. Here is the poem that is going into my cards this year.

We have a list of friends we know, all written in a file
We take it out at Christmas time and study it awhile
And this is when we realize those name are all a part
Not of the list they're written on, but names within our heart.

For each name stands for a place that we have been
And the joy of friendship is one we want to touch again
And it may appear fantastic for us to make this claim
But we really feel we are composed of each remembered name

You may not even be aware of any special link
But knowing you has shaped our lives much more than you can think
For once we came to love you, the years could not erase
The memory of our friendship that still is in its place

So never think our Christmas cards are just a mere routine
Of names upon a Christmas list....forgotten in between
For when we send a Christmas card that is addressed to you
It means you are upon the list of friends we're indebted to...

In part we are a total of the many friends we've met
And you are truly one of those we never will forget
If we've been friends forever, or just a day or two
In some way wonderful, you've been a part of shaping what we do.

Every year when Christmas comes, we realize anew
The biggest gift that life can give is having friends like you
We wish the Christmas spirit to be your forevermore
And the bells of Christmas morning bless you with a mighty roar.

GO TO 2009 (64) MOST RECENT ENTRY TO VIEW AZALEA PLANT

No comments: