Translate

Saturday, December 19, 2009

My love of reading has always included young people's stories and for years I have been building a collection of children's literature and picture books. I have always loved how beautifully some of these books are illustrated, and this enters into the decision to purchase a book or not. Along with these treasures, I have a separate Christmas collection of children's books which I love, and enjoy reading over and over at the holiday season. I have three favorites. One is The Gift of the Magi by O'Henry which is one of the nicest love stories of all time, where a poor, newly married couple sell what is most precious to them to buy a Christmas present for the other. Another favorite I read each year is: Is There A Santa Claus; the answer to eight year old Virginia who writes a letter to the New York Sun newspaper asking them to tell her if there really is a Santa Claus after her Papa says, "If you see it in The Sun, it's so." Part of the answer The Sun gives is:
"Did you ever see Fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world." (Some people call this faith.)
My favorite Christmas book, however, is the one that my youngest daughter cherished the most growing up, and continues to read every Christmas. It is simply called The Christmas Story by Jay Frankston and is the story of a Jewish family who goes to the Post Office each Christmas; picks out the most "needy" wishes from letters to Santa; buys presents for these families, and then, on Christmas day; Dad dressed as Santa, delivers gifts to them with a joyful Ho-Ho-Ho. This was their answer to being part of the very Christian celebration all around them. I have always been glad that this particular story struck such a profound cord with my daughter. Early on, she appreciated that Christmas is about the joy of giving as much as receiving. Tis the season of giving and sharing with family, friends and yes, even strangers. God bless us all.

No comments: