Translate

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Recently I was honored with the inclusion of my essay in my High School's (Summit Country Day) book, THIS I BELIEVE, which came out this Christmas season. The book includes essays from students, teachers, alumni, administrators, and parents connected to the school, and includes written testimony to a particular thought or thing one believes in, thus, the title, THIS I BELIEVE. In my essay I said that I believe in taking reasonable risks in life, and getting out of our comfort zones to have a more fulfilling and meaningful life. I talked about going to Africa to serve in the Peace Corps back in the 60ies, and though, I (and everyone else) knew very little about Africa at the time, I overcame my fear, and went. It was one of the most enriching experiences of my life. I have now read many more of the essays in this book of which there are about 50. I wanted to list some of the things that people believe in and wrote about. If you were to write an essay on this subject, what would it say you believed in?

I BELIEVE IN:
*trusting yourself
*hands
*opportunities
*listening
*inner strength
*creating a place of peace and serenity
*that we are all the same underneath
*being grounded
*second chances
*power of humor
*democracy and freedom
*waiting
*finding your own happiness
*parents
*our stories
*goodness of people
*running
*my garden
*we know nothing
*family
*to whom much is given, much is expected
*responsibility
*each of us has a life purpose beyond what we do for a living
*people are shaped by their past
*payback
*everyday miracles
* personal philanthropy
*the joy of sound
*God's plan
*the power of a greeting card, note or letter
*teachers
*we are all called to serve
*sports teaches life lessons
*success transfers
*character
*not having regrets
*importance of staying connected
*being yourself
*education
*love
*Santa Claus (Read, "Yes Virginia; There is a Santa Claus"
*laughter
*

No comments: