Translate

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lifetime Quotes

Tucked away on the shelf in my office is my book of quotes. This little leather-bound book contains the many quotes that I have been saving over the years, and ones that speak to me now and then. I consider them my road map in life and I often turn to them just to remind myself of things I may have forgotten. Today I want to share some of my favorite quotes with you. My favorite has always been a Persian Proverb that says, "Trust in God, but tie your camel." Here are some others:

"If you have no enemies, you have never done anything." (observation by my father.)

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
(Quote sent to me by my mother in 1978)

"I am too much of a sceptic to deny the possibility of anything." T.H.Huxley (1828-1895)

"Sometimes even to live is an act of courage." Seneca (4B.C.-A.D.65)

"A really busy person never knows how much he weighs." Edger W. Howe (1853-1937)

"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better, even of their blunders." Friedrich Nietzche ( 1844-1900)

"There is only one thing about which I am certain, and this is that there is very little about which one can be certain." W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)

"This above all; to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man." William Shakespeare. (1564-1616)

"The secret of a good old age is simply an honorable pact with solitude." Gabriel Garcia Marquez
(1928-?)

"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us, for it is a point of view about things." Marcel Proust (1871-1922)

"In comedy, the best actor plays the part of the droll, while some second rogue is made the hero or fine gentleman. So, in this farce of life, wise men pass their time in mirth, while fools are only serious." Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)

"Noble deeds and hot baths are the best cures for depression." Dodie Smith (1896-?) Who is Dodie Smith???

"The afternoon of human life must have a significance of its own and cannot be merely a pitiful appendage of life's morning." Carl Jung

No comments: