Translate

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fresh Tomatoes

Why is it that today I am thinking of fresh tomatoes that we grow in our garden every year as seen in this picture I took last summer. Every year, my husband, who grew up on a farm, and I "put up" our tomatoes, and when we are finished, we have about 30 quarts of fresh grown tomato sauce to last us through the winter. I am a city girl at heart, but some of the farm traditions that my husband grew up with have seeped into my soul, and this is one of them. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better in the middle of winter than eating fresh grown tomatoes in spaghetti, chili, or whatever other tomato dish we cook. We are very covetous of these jars of tomatoes and only give a few to family and friends as they are precious indeed. I guess I am thinking about fresh tomatoes today because I am longing for the kind of weather that grows them. The first of February has brought us more of the same overcast cold and gray skies that we had in January. My longing for sunshine and warmer weather runs deep in me, I am sure, as this kind of weather, without question, affects my mood which today is being pulled more into negative energy than positive. Isn't that a nice way to say that I am slightly depressed today? Weather clearly does affect me and no matter how much I try to say to myself, it is only a state of mind, I still feel lousy. Ah, mind over emotions...now that is a subject for another day. For today, I am just happy to be writing on my BLOG, and keeping my head above water.

No comments: