Translate

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day








This is what my house looked like on Valentine's Day this year. I was surrounded by those I love the most; my wonderful husband (this rose being one of a dozen he gave me), my two fabulous daughters, my awesome son-in-law and Michelle's significant other, Scott DeWeese, and my two fun, and funny grandchildren. Life is good this year, and what could be better than being surrounded by those you love on Valentine's Day? It was not always the case in my growing up years, and I remember many a lonely Valentine's Day when I did not think that anyone loved me. I can think all the way back to grade school when the magnetic pull between boy and girl begins, and I was in love with so many of the cute boys in my class. Back then, we decorated shoe boxes with red crape paper, ribbons, white doilies and anything else that would suggest love. Usually the rule was that everyone in the class got a valentine from everyone else; no one was to be left out, and I was just foolish enough to actually think that if I happened to get one of those three cent valentines that said "Will you be mine?" it really meant something from that cute boy across the isle. In fact, his mom probably wrote out his valentines for him, and he was clueless as to who got which one. In many ways, Valentine's Day is much like New Year's Eve; it is hard to be without a "love" for either of these occasions, but I had plenty of these. I remember many times being in tears. I guess that this is one reason that today I am so grateful when I look around and see how lovingly rich my life is. And to all the singles out there, I want to say, keep the fires burning and the hope alive. True love will come along when you least expect it. It did for me!


2 comments:

Peggy Norris said...

This is "every girl's" memory, and you said it so well. Happy Valentine's Day.

Gretta said...

Thanks Peggy...I sure put in my fair share of lonely Valentine's Days!