Translate

Friday, May 7, 2010

My Mother


Sunday is Mother's Day and I would like to honor my mother with this beautiful orchid I wish I could give to her, and with this poem that I wrote about her. I loved my mom very much, and admired how she kept "it" all together, even when the seas were rough; she never was "at sea," herself, rather she kept our ship afloat, and all of her seven children moving along with good manners, good morals and good times. Here's to you Mom.
MOTHER
I remember my mother
in the basement
In front of the washing machine
with loads of wash
Darks, whites, and in-betweens
For seven children
And one very meticulous husband
Who wanted everything neat and clean
I remember my Mother
behind the ironing board
Pressing Peter Pan blouses
for brown school uniforms
And sewing on lost buttons
My Mother could work miricles
with leftovers
and create a delicious mystery stew
I remember my Mother
behind the wheel of our old station-wagon
Seven kids packed in tight
day or night
Driving us to art museums, skating rinks,
horse-back riding and tennis lessons
We were a captive audience to her plan
To have our fingers
In every piece of pie
in life
And to live large and full
But mostly.......
I remeber my Mother
telling a story
And laughing heartily at her own joke
My Mother loved a party
and reasons to celebrate
She seemed always to be happy
She would often say,
"Life is what you make it
It is really up to you"
Mother is gone now
But her laughter lives in me
I hear her still
Along with the thumping rumble
Of the old station-wagon.

No comments: