Translate

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Springtime, 2010






LET ME GO IN SPRINGTIME



Let me go in springtime



When I go



So that the long winter will not



Seem in vain



And I can hear again



The birds chirping one more time



Before I go





And I will want to see



The row of day lilies



That grow each spring



Along the hedge



And smell the lilacs below



My window pane





I will want to greet one more time



Hank and Henrietta, our doves



That come back each year



To nest in our Evergreen tree





And with my last breaths



I will, once again



Wish to enjoy the rabbits and their offspring



Hopping about and eating the new green shoots



From our garden



And see the ducks waddle by in pairs



Male chasing female



On their way to the lake nearby





I will want to hear the geese honk



Once again



Their message of delight



In flight overhead



As the robins jump about the yard



Finding worms in the wet spring earth





And if I am very lucky



A yellow chickadee will alight



Followed by the redbird



That finds our feeder every year



And the sun will warm my soul



Before I go



And I will be happy then.







  • 1 comment:

    v said...

    h Greta, what a beautiful poem! It brought smiles & the beginning of a tear or two - when you go - not for many years yet. It made me wish we were among those fortunate folks who could experience the wonderful Winter/Spring we just had in Florida & have the beauty of a Spring you are sharing with us. The photos are beautiful as well. :*) vivian