Translate

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Barns Continued

What in life endures, I am not sure, but as I drive down country roads and see the barns that dot the family farms, I know it is these barn weathered becons that do remain, and I am awed by their presence and captivated by their charm. They are as rooted in the earth as the farm families living near with stories to tell of those who tilled the land, and planted well the bread baskets of the world, and then perserved their crops in these barn hollowed lofts. Some stand facing the sun; others see rust colored sunsets as shadows creep up one side and down the other of their warn-weathered sides. They have outlasted the darkest storms, the heaviest winds, pelting snows, and have given refuge and safe harbor within for farm animals to grow: calfs, fouls, young kittens, and for down-and-outs, and for run-away slaves who in darker days had nowhere to go. They are housed hidden among rolling hills or stand hard upon flat, firm landscapes, while colorful paints and peelings catch your eye as you drive by. Some barns have messages to take to heart: "Jesus saves; Repent; chew mail pouch tobacco" in years gone by. How many years has each barn stood, I do not know and their future fate I can only surmise.....the year and date of their demise. But I know this for sure; they will remain and endure long after I am gone.

No comments: