Translate

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Barns

So what is it about barns that I love? Well for one thing; I love their history. I love the thought that they house animals, crops and grains which feed the people who make their living from the farms they cultivate and the animals they raise. I love the idea that they are different shapes and sizes, and also different colors, but I love the red painted barns the best. There is something so earth solid about barns; something about barns that say that is all you need to survive...a good sturdy barn. I love the fact that barns housed run-away slaves in their day, perhaps on their way to freedom, and perhaps were the places where one could take shelter from the cold, rain and stormy weather. I have had the opportunity to see many barns from the inside out here on the prairie in central Illinois, and the intricate, solid beams and criss-crossed planks are amazing to see. It is no wonder that barns last so long, as was certainly the intention when men built them. I love the idea of an old fashioned barn raising. What could be more heart warming than a community of farmers coming together to help their neighbor build his barn. Yes, I love barns, and all the history and folk lore that goes with them. I am not a four legged animal, but I think I could be happy living in a barn.

No comments: