Translate

Saturday, December 10, 2011

CHRISTMAS MEMORIES

It's that wonderful time of year again, and I am walking down memory lane with all these pictures now displayed on my refrigerator. I love to think about my own Christmases as a child at this time of year; always happy and exciting with my six brothers and sisters in Cincinnati, Ohio. My memories include the time when I was very little, and both my  brothers and I were in the hospital through Christmas with Scarlet Fever, and how Mom and Dad had Christmas for us after we were home, presents, trimmed tree and all. I remember putting out food for Santa's reindeer, the Jingle Bells that my parents rang late at night to suggest that Santa was near and all children should be asleep in their beds. On Christmas morning, I remember all of us waiting impatiently for Mother and Dad to get up so that we could go in line from youngest to oldest down the steps singing Jingle Bells into the Living Room to see what Santa had brought. I remember the year that we all got bikes; the year that we all got ice skates; the year that the girls all got beautiful dolls. I remember the only year that we were allowed to open our gifts on Christmas Eve because my mother was about to deliver our youngest sister, Christine Helen, who came on Christmas morning. Always exciting "stuff" going on at our house on Forest Hill Drive! Most Christmases, our large family of children put on Christmas plays for us, put together, costumes and all, after they had eaten, and while the adults enjoyed their Christmas dinner.  My memories also include the fun and traditions of my own family and the joy my husband Mike and I had watching our own two little girls open their presents from Santa. One Christmas in Colorado was particularly memorable with a snowstorm that would not allow anyone out of their driveway. We had great friends there, and all Christmas Day we had parties on our front porches all up and down the street, some people getting around on skies. One Christmas we went to New Orleans, where my sister lived. That year we enjoyed the sunshine of the south, and the interesting traditions of the people of New Orleans including burning wood-built structures to burn and light the path of Pere Noel along the Mississippi River. As you can see from the pictures above, we have had many Christmases with our large, extended families which is the best gift of all; to be with, and celebrate this special time with the ones you love the most. One of my fondest thoughts for this season came one year via a poem written by a good friend, then in her 80ies and I will add it here. It is called, "WINTER GARDEN"
WINTER GARDEN
Yes we can have roses in December
Someone has said (I can't remember who?)
Because God gave us memories,
And it is true
Kaleidoscopic pictures turn
Behind closed eyelids, sunsets burn
Of many summers gone.
And tawny woods of autumns sped
Still swirl the leaves inside my head,
Still make my eyes and nostrils sting
With perfume of burnt offering.
The vernal fires of greening trees
Ignite the songs of chickadees,
And lo! The robins and the cardinals come!
No longer, nature stricken dumb
In crystal caves of ice and snow
Indeed, the winter roes grow!
In hearts like mine that are contrary
The monarchs fly in January!
And all bright loves and friendships shine
That once were ever yours and mine.
SARA BUSH

No comments: