Translate

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Watching Things Grow

I really think that there is something fabulous about watching things grow up from  the ground, or in this case, out of a planted pot. During the winter, I always buy plants that I can watch get bigger, materialize, and finally become something quite beautiful. When I was first married and we had bought our first little house, the first thing I wanted to do was have a garden. My husband who grew up on a farm, and knew everything about growing things in the ground was not quite so excited, but encouraged me with interest to plant those seeds in the spring. You cannot believe how astonished I was, and elated when I saw those first little green shoots coming up. I ran into the house to tell Mike with such enthusiasm that my husband thought that maybe I had just won the lottery. You see, I grew up in the city, and never once in all of my growing up years did I ever plant anything, and then watch it grow. Like so many other city children of my generation, I had no idea where our food came from; it just ended up on our table for each meal, and I never questioned it or thought about it. Today, I am close to the farm where my husband grew up, and we now have a farm of our own. It is a real joy for me to watch things grow out here in the country; to see the rows and rows of corn and soybeans come up after planting in the spring, but just as important to me is my own little garden at my kitchen window that I watch grow over time, and bring such joy and delight to me on winter days.

This is what is growing from the simple pot above! Maybe I do have a green thump, after all!

No comments: