Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Water, Water, Water

Today I want to talk about WATER, the source of all life, particularly since I don't have any at the moment. Several days ago, I began hearing a drip, drip drip coming from our downstairs shower, and after mentioning it to my husband, he went into action...well, if truth be told, after a
 few days thinking about it. Never-the-less, when the day finally arrived (yesterday) for him to fix it, he attacked it like he does many projects..."I can do this!" Well, after pulling everything out (whatever that means), tools everywhere in our bathroom, and three trips to the hardware store, he finally was defeated. I felt so helpless, seeing the annoyance and distress on his face, but when I offered to help, he quickly declined my offer....smart man; I know NOTHING! In the meantime, Mike had turned off all the water in the house, so this morning....we went to shower at our neighbors, and made coffee with a little water we had managed to save in a pot. Oh how much we take for granted in our privileged life. I was reminded of my time in Africa where I too did not have a source for water, and when we did get it to make coffee or cook with, we had to boil it first. Our outside shower was provided with water from a rain container of some sort that filtered into the space for bathing, as I recall. And, this worked until, one morning, I was visited by a Green Mamba snake, and had to literally "run for my life." But, I digress. Back to the modern world...we are now awaiting a plumber to come and fix the drip, drip, drip. Should my husband have gone to this "call for help" first? I guess I really don't think so. I would rather have a mate who thinks he can fix things and is willing to try rather than one who doesn't. This being said from a girl who grew up with men in my family who didn't know how to change a light bulb! I am remined of a joke I heard once, "How many Irishmen does it take to change a lightbulb? Five, one to change it, and four to remark about how grand the old bulb was."They had other wonderful talkents but fixing things was not one of them. Again, today I am thinking about how water is such a precious resource in our lives that we cannot live without; I am more aware of that today as I sit here waiting for the plumber to arrive.
.
 

No comments: