Translate

Thursday, September 24, 2009

The End

"It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come." Shakespeare: Julius Caesar

The process of dying is indeed a mystery. This past weekend I had the honor of sitting with my sister-in-law while she was actively dying. (nurse's term) I say honor because I believe it is an honor to be with someone during the very final chapter of his/her life....a life that is entirely unique to this world; a one-of-a-kind, like all of us. And just as birth is a profound, miraculous event filled with awe and mystery, so too is death, I think. I sat with my sister-in-law in the hospital as one by one, her body mechanisms began to fail, and though she was comfortable and breathing on her own, I knew that the end of her life was near. I was not afraid for her, and I talked to her often to let her know I was there as others of her family did also, and she squeezed my hand to tell me she knew, although she could not communicate any other way. It was comforting for me to see her peaceful and serene, and then finally, take her last living breath. In talking to the nurses that witness this often, each person's process is different as each person's body decides when life is over. It may be hours, and in my sister-in-laws case, it was several days. But the result is the same for all....the end of life for a unique person who contributed her own talents and gifts to the world; for my sister-in-law, her gift and legacy of love. She was truly one of the most loving persons I have ever known, and for that, I am grateful to have been a part of her life, and honored that I could be with her at the end of her life.

1 comment:

Blog of Innocence said...

I'm so glad you nudged me. Beautiful post.