Translate

Sunday, September 6, 2009

September brings the Canadian Geese flying overhead, honking their way to places warmer. Like the geese, I wish that I could just up and fly south with them. I love to write poetry, and several years ago, I composed a short poem about not being able to do just that.

The Geese are gathering now
Honking and hollering
As they fly bye
In their V shaped form
'Summer is ending,' they scream

And, I want to scream too!

'Cold weather is coming
And we must be gone
To a warmer place'

"Can I fly along,"
I cry
"Yes, you can,
If you can fly"

"Drats!" I answer
"Why them, and why not I?"

Geese, actually, have a lot to teach us about encouragement, leadership, loyalty and life. As geese are flying, they form a V (as I am sure everyone knows), and each bird flaps its wings, creating an uplift for the bird immediatly following. By flying in a V formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% to its flying range than if each bird flew on its own. When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to "go it alone." and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front. When the lead goose gets tired, it rotates back in formation and another goose flies point. Geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed. Finally, when a goose gets sick or is wounded, and falls out of formation, two other geese fall out with that goose, and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it is able to fly or until it dies, and only then do they fly away. Anyone else see any life lessons here?

5 comments:

Tom McBrearty said...

Gee, and I thought their only purpose in nature was to fly by, circle, and stop to dine on the golf course, leaving those familiar traces that play havoc with your spikes and golf balls.

Gretta said...

Gosh; some people I know can only think in terms of golf!

Unknown said...

You always learn something from whatever you see around you! I want to do so like you.
And I miss geese!!!(like I miss you, because I never see geese and you around here...)

Gretta said...

I miss you too, Reiko! I never get to see you around either. That makes me sad.

Unknown said...

Greta, I loved the description. I found it very tender & informative. Unfortunately,humans definitely do not have the corner on caring relationships. I'll send you a copy of an email I sent around after reading this post. It referred to a creature I feel the same as your friend does. v