Translate

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mythology Class

I am having lots of fun this summer taking a Mythology class at the community college where I live and also work. I am revisiting the Iliad and the Odyssey and all the mythical gods that played such important roles in Homer's epic stories. I have also been intrigued by how many of the themes in Greek and Roman mythology are part of our world today. It seems that history repeats itself over and over again and some things remain the same. Even in our religions of today, the themes and stories are similar. The myths are filled with "saviors and sacrifices" and humans who referred to themselves as gods. Even Julius Cesear was made a "god" after he died and his son referred to himself as "the son of God." There are heroes, saviors, demons and devils, clever tricksters and monsters, the righteous and the enemies, sea gods who whip up the oceans (Posiden) and jealous maidens galore. Interesting how well the tellers of old knew human nature so well. All good material for Shakespeare's plays! I am finding this all quite fascinating and even though I studied some of this in school, it is really coming alive to me for the first time. I traveled some of the places talked about in these myths, i.e. Greece, Rome, Delphi, Egypt but never really understood (as I do now) what I was seeing. I sure would get a lot more out of those trips now! Anyway, I am having a fascinating summer reading about the gods of myth, and in doing so, understanding our own culture better.

No comments: