Translate

Friday, August 13, 2010

A Dear Friend Gone

I have not been blogging lately. I have been grieving the loss of a very close and dear friend who passed away at the very young age of 31. Chris was like a son to my husband and me, and he will be sorely missed by both of us. Chris was such a bright, intelligent, energy-filled star in our lives with his passion for reading (only smart books), writing and art. When I was sick, he brought me flowers. He brought me special books he knew I would like to read. He took me to Chicago to see the Shakespeare Play, Troilus and Cressida that he and I were reading aloud together. He came on Sundays with his New York Times for us to read and talk about, especially the book section. I still cannot fathom that he is gone. I wrote a poem.
CHRIS
A friend of mine has passed away
And the loss is more for me to say
Than for him to lament
What now he does not know
How my heart sits low
With the loss of his smile and grace
Oh how he made me laugh
His presence was too loud
To now be gone
Gone now, gone for good
Lying dormant in the cemetery wood
Sometimes I hear his voice yet
Whispering in my soul
That sound that made him whole
And special just to me
He says he is not really gone
But my deepest sense
Knows our time together is no more
Yes my friend is gone....
No need now for seasonal clothes
Annoying exercise, and eating healthy foods
All that was spent when he went away
And now I hear him say
Take everything, my treasures, all my things
That made me Chris, your friend
And pitch the rest
I have no need for these
******************************************
And as I journey on
In all the days left to me
It will never be the same
I shall never see again
Those things we say together
In quite a similar way
Or enjoy as heartily
LIFE
Without him here
To share with me.
******************************************
I will miss you, dear friend.

3 comments:

MC said...

Gretta- What a wonderful tribute to your friend.....

MindOverColor said...

Thank you Gretta, such a wonderful poem. Chris would have loved it. Bringing tear to my eyes.

((hugs))
Teia

Unknown said...

that was very beautiful and so touching - your tribute to your friend will stay in my mind for a long time to come - I am so very sorry for your loss - I think it may be true that God takes the good ones first.
Love and kind thoughts, Ruth