Translate

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hank and Henrietta

Today, as I drink my first cup of coffee, out my screen porch, sits our dove, Henrietta in a nest of her own making, feeding her new baby. I was surprised by this. After all, it is August and I thought all new baby birds arrived int he Spring. Apparently not. This is an amazing sight to watch and follow each morning as Henrietta or her mate, Hank, flies off to find food, and then returns to the nest to nourish their offspring. Hank and Henrietta have been with us for fifteen years, arriving the same year we moved into our new house, and returning each year, usually some time in February. Years ago I wrote a poem to celebrate our doves and will share it here.

Hank and Henrietta

One dove sits quietly, patiently

In the Evergreen tree, waiting

Stretching her neck to see her mate

Come swooping down to meet her

They have come back every year, these doves

To our back yard meadow

Since they first set up house in our tree

Feathering and nesting young doves

And then, nudging them from their nest

To fly from here, and find their own place to be.

And though I don't always attend to

nature's curious signs

I cannot help myself this morning

When I see these two love birds

Back again on February 23ed.

They are the same two we now call Hank and Henrietta

Coming back every year

From the very beginning, from the very start

Showing off their love, loyalty and family

And giving me an "aha" moment I can clearly see

That natures models life, and teaches harmony

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

quite touching~~~thx for sharing..................................................................

Mo Conlan said...

Hi, Gretta. This is my third try and I am pretty determined. Love the Dove poem -- especially since I feel I know Henry and Henrietta. Your are just makes your blog outstanding!