Translate

Monday, May 28, 2012

                                                    MIKE BARCLAY, VIETNAM VET
Today is Memorial Day, 2012, and this morning I took a Vet to breakfast...my husband, actually. Mike served in Vietnam in the years 1966-67, and though we have talked about his experience through the years, I decided to do a kind of interview, over our Bob Evens biscuits, to learn some of the facts of Mike's experience. Mike trained for 8-9 weeks at Fort Polk, Louisiana and did advanced training at Fort Eustis, Virginia where he was trained to be a seaman. I think that he was fortunate in this because, even though he could have experienced enemy fire, he never did as a seaman on a supply boat traveling up and down the Mekong  Delta. Mike left home on August 12, 1966 from O'Hara Airport in Chicago where he had driven with his Mom and Dad from Colfax, Illinois (about 2 hours drive) two days in a row because the first airplane transport had no room. I can just imagine what his mom and dad must have been thinking on the ride back home, wishing that he was coming back home to stay. But back they went the second day, and with anxiety and trepidation, he boarded a MATS (Military Air Transportation plane) because all the airlines were on strike at that time. Mike's tells me that his Mom and Dad were just as apprehensive as he was sending their youngest (& only one to go ) off to war. I personally cannot imagine such a difficult thing to do.....and I know that his mother must have been in tears while his dad tried to remain stoic and strong.
Mike flew to San Francisco, Hawaii, the Philippines  and then to Vietnam where he checked in at Camp Pen Hoi, called by the military, Camp LBJ, a very large army base out in the middle of "nowhere" with jungle all around. From here, Mike was given his year's assignment as a "seaman" or "boats- man" on a 14 crew supply boat that traveled up and down the Mekong Delta delivering food and army supplies. And, although the quarters were tight, the crew got along well together and ate  great food from the cook on board, named Roosevelt Little. Guard duty for the boat was 24-7 and Mike stood guard  plenty of nights as well as days, but during Mike's time aboard, the boat was never fired upon. What a blessing!  Mike spent his R&R in Hong Kong; saw the sights and bought himself a new suit and coat.
Forever, I will be grateful that Mike did not see combat in Vietnam  I honor him as a veteran today because Mike went, and no matter what one might think of the merits of the war in Vietnam, Mike went. And, no, he did not have much of a choice as he was drafted, but still,he went.
Today I think about all the men and women who "went" when they were called or even signed up to go, and those who are at war today in the name of the United States. I am grateful for their dedication to our protection.
Mike told me this morning over breakfast that he had a chance to "re- up" for 90 days, and if he had,  he would have been discharged upon his return to the U.S. He then said, "if I had done that, then I would not have met you." This is true as we met in Washington, D.C. after Mike's return when he was stationed at a base outside of D.C. and I was there working for the Peace Corps. It was so sweetly said that, after 42 years of marriage and putting up with me, I think he still thinks he made the right choice.

 

1 comment:

Mary Carol said...

Gretta - love your tribute to Mike - thankful that he came home and found you in DC!!! Blessings all around.

Love - Mary Carol