Translate

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Today I was cleaning out some drawers and came  across a file entitled
"Late Bloomers." And, before I tossed it, I reread about some famous people who did not hit their stride, or realize their true talent until later in life. I think of myself as a late bloomer in that, I always wanted to be a writer, and did not begin to write seriously until well into my fifties. And, I was 67 when I published my first novel, "To See a Sundog." So many of us in life are consumed with responsibilities of jobs, marriages, children, family etc. that, unless we have made our passion or interest a career, we do not have much time for it until later in life. What is gratifying to know is that it is never too late to do what we do  well, and  to do what we love.
 I think about Julia Child who did not serve a French meal until she was 36, and Susan Boyle who debuted with her magnificent voice at the age of 48. So many late bloomers were considered "failures" at an early age, and often did not do well in school. Thomas Edison's teacher told him that he was unable to learn; Albert Einstein had a difficult time learning language and failed his college entrance exam. Winston Churchill failed sixth grade and Isaac Newton's school work was considered poor. Henry Ford was evaluated as "showing no promise." F.W. Woolworth's employers refused to allow him to wait on customers because "he didn't have any sense." Like many of us,  I am prone to discouragement, and tend to give up when I cannot see the value in something. Or, I have second thoughts about the worth of the endeavor, or if it has any meaning. But, then I discovered that if it has meaning to me, it is worth doing, and again, it is never too late. As I write this, I have three different books in the "pipeline," and all are substantially begun. These "late bloomers" encourage me to continue......
I remember a quote from my High School, The Summit, that was nicely framed and easily read each time I walked down the hall  to my  classrooms. It said, "Greatly begin though thou have time but for a line....low aim, not failure is crime." I have never forgotten this, and it continues to inspire the writer in me. If you want to read more about Late Bloomers, go to the BLOG of Debra Eve.

No comments: