Translate

Monday, October 6, 2008

October 6, 2008

I am sitting at my desk wondering what I might write about this morning  as I hear the honking geese flying overhead out my open window. Several entries ago, I talked about the geese flying south when the frost was on the pumpkin and cool air was in the wind,  and wondered why I could not also, just up and fly south. This poem came to me as I sat here wondering.  

ESCAPE by Gretta Barclay

The geese are gathering
Out my office window
This morning
Honking and hollering
As they fly overhead
Across the cool autumn sky

Summer is over, they scream
to their V lined mates

And I want to scream too

Cold weather is coming
The seem to say,
And we must be gone
To a warmer place
When winter comes


"Can I fly along?"
I cry

"Yes you can
If you can fly..."

Oh my
Why them
And why not I ?
*******************************************************

I was also thinking about my mother this morning who would have just celebrated a birthday if she were still alive. How important mothers are in their children's lives, I think, as I watch my daughter Kerri, and daughter Michelle struggle to be the best moms they can be to their children, and for Michelle, the children of her significant other. It is such a 24-7 kind of committment to be available to them even if you work out of the home. They are always number one, and always on their mother's minds. I often wonder how Sara Palin is able to travel so much in pursuit of the vice-presidency with the nations troubles having to come first for her right now, and how hard that must be for her as a mother especially having an infant with special needs at home. Years ago I wrote a poem in honor of my mother who stayed home and raised seven children pretty damn well, if I must say so. O.K. I did just say so, and now for the poem....

MY MOTHER, MARY HELEN

I remember my mother
In the basement
In front of the washing machine
With loads of wash
Darks, whites, and in-betweens
For seven children
And one very meticulous father
Who wanted everything very clean

I remember my mother
Behind the ironing board
Pressing Peter Pan blouses
For brown school uniforms
And sewing on lost buttons

And oh, what she couldn't do
With left-overs
And mystery stew

I remember my mother
Behind the wheel of our ol station-wagon
Seven kids packed in tight
Day and night
Off to art museums, skating rinks,
horse-back riding and tennis lessons
Doing it all
At her suggestion and direction

But mostly,
I rember my mother 
Telling a story
And laughing heartily at her own joke

My mother loved a party
And any reason to celebrate
She seemed always to be happy
No matter the weather
Or problems of the day
She would always say,
"Life is what you make it
It's really up to you...."

What a legacy she left
For all of us alive today.

No comments: