Translate

Friday, July 10, 2009

A Day to Celebrate!

"Fern looked at her father. Then she lifted the lid of the carton. There, inside, looking up at her, was the newborn pig. It was a white one. The morning shone through its ears, turning them pink. Fern couldn't take her eyes off the tiny pig. "Oh," she whispered. "Oh, look at him! He's absolutely perfect." Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
Today Mike and I are celebrating the birth of our second daughter, Kerri, who was born on this day 35 years ago in Columbus, Ohio. I actually drove myself to the hospital because my mother needed someone to drive with her, so behind me was Mike and Mom. I was to be induced as I had had some difficulty with the first go-around, and I wanted to be sure the Doctor was "in the house." All went well, and at sometime in the afternoon (can't remember the exact time) Kerri Elizabeth Barclay came into the world and into our lives. We were thrilled with another little girl, and a sister for Michelle, and though they are very different in temperament, they are best friends today. To say that the time has gone by all too quickly is an understatement. How could our little daughter be all grown up now with children of her own (see picture). Kerri made us laugh, cry, wonder, explore, learn, grow up, appreciate, feel pride, and so many other things along the way. As Kim Anderson says in her little book, Babies Are a Special Gift, "babies can open our eyes to a new world of beauty, our minds to a new world of promise, and our hearts to a new world of love." Kerri indeed did that for us and we are so grateful for her in our lives. Thank you Kerri for all the wonderful memories Dad and I have of you growing up, and being such a wonderful part to our family.

1 comment:

Blog of Innocence said...

Gretta,

Love the E.B. White quote. Your pairing of the "pig" and Kerri is very sweet.

I'm lucky to be so close to your family and know everyone intimately. Your family is truly an inspiration to me--and indeed, the family I never had.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful vignette about Kerri. I'll be celebrating with you today.

Chris