Translate

Saturday, July 11, 2009

To Dye or Not to Dye

To dye or not to dye; herein lies the question of the day for me...whether tis better to dye my hair again, or let go of my one last prideful vista of looking young (er) than I am. But in dying, am I perpetuating a lie, both to myself and "the world" as Falstaff says in Shakespeare's Henry IV...

"Lord, lord, how subject we old men (women) are in the vice of lying!"

And again in The Merchant of Venice when Bassanio says,

"Look on beauty, and you shall see; tis purchased by the weight (cosmetics) which therein
works a miracle in nature, making them lightest (lustful) that wears most."

Well, I am certainly looking for a miracle in nature; helping my ever graying hair return to its younger, natural brown, but I am certainly not, at my age, looking for lustfulness! I guess what I should be looking for is acceptance or contentment. This, of course, would be the ideal.

"O God! Methinks it were a happy life....to be no better than a homely swain." (King Henry in Henry IV)

Ah, but Shakespeare did not have to put up with this "ageless" culture we live in today where everyone is young; where no one is ever going to die, at least not in our lifetime; and where one begins to be ignored with the first sign of aging; where I, at the college where I work, like to hang out with young kids, trying to fit in, speak their language, enjoy their interests, keep up with their technology and overall look and act "cool." A tall order for this sixty something gal. So, once again I will head to the drugstore to pick up No. 5, medium brown hair color....my one "cosmetic of choice" to keep me looking young. So, to dye or not to dye. Yes, at least one more time.

No comments: