Translate

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

To Lie or Not to Lie

My last post addressed the question of "To dye or not to dye." Today, the question is "To lie or not to lie."
While looking through the Internet this morning, I found an awesome website: http://literaturepage.com where you can read full text entries of some of the more famous classics...fiction, non-fiction, poetry, famous quotes etc. right on your computer. I clicked on an essay by Mark Twain that jumped out at me called, "On the Decay of the Art of Lying."

"All of us lie," says Mark Twain; "it is the highest form of politeness." it is only "children and fools who always speak the truth."

Is Mark Twain serious here? Should we learn the art of lying as we grow up? What do you think? Does the 'commandment' "Thou shalt not tell a lie" or something like that, really mean NEVER? How about when your mother-in-law asks you if you like her potato salad that she has brought to every family event since you married her son? Are you going to say, NO? Not if you want to continue living peacefully with her son, you're not. Do you agree with Mark Twain when he says,

"I think that all courteous lying is a sweet and loving art, and should be cultivated."

How about when your boss calls you on your cell phone while you are still in bed and says, "Where are you?" What should you say?

"Oh, I'm getting a few more winks, (because I was up late partying last night), before I get up and begin the boring job of trying to sell your stupid product that no one want to buy."

OR

"Just heading down the highway to call on my first customer; they sounded really excited about the product when I talked to them this morning."

Leave a comment and tell me what you think? Of course, Mark Twain is the same guy who said,

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

2 comments:

Tom McBrearty said...

Small white fabrications to keep the peace and improve others' self-worth ("Nice putt, Mr. Twain")seem to be fine, and are probably good. Coverups and other deceptions less so, at the least, and perhaps quite bad, at the most. Me, I never lie!

Unknown said...

It is very difficult to argue with Mr Twain and I do not intend to, but lying, overall is not good. A wise man once said, "Ask no questions, I will tell no lies." The crux is most of house have too much to hide and fear the repercussions of honesty. It does hurt when friends, relatives and family will not be up front when questioned or expecting a timely response to a request.One cannot imagine what out-spokenenss does to ones reputation.