Translate

Monday, July 6, 2009

July 6th, 2009


Beautiful day to wake up in Normal today! It's one of those mornings that feels so crisp and clear with brilliant breezes coming through the windows; you just know it's going to be a great day, or least a good one! Yesterday, as I was cleaning up after the 4th of July festivities and celebration, I came across my cluttered hallway table near the door. Throughout the weekend, everything had gotten dumpted there as we came and went. It inspired a poem in me called The Cluttered Table by the Door

Oh cluttered table by the door
Place of disaray
Where, here upon your table top
Lay the remnents of the day
Car keys
Overdue books
Letters to be sent
Bills to be paid

Oh, and let me see
What else has been laid
On your rectagular sphere?
Besides the dust gathering here
Invitations
Salutations
A letter from a friend
Rubber bands
Ball point pens
Assorted change
Quite a range
Of meaningless clutter
Oh brother!

Just so much stuff
To put away
To ready your table
For another day
When a new array
Of things
Will find their way
To your table top.
Sorry! For I can see,
Clear and empty
It will never be.

As I reread this, I can see that this is not my best poetry effort, but it sumerizes the universal table or drawer that I think everyone has in their house....and indeed, it will never be empty!

No comments: