Translate

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Hero

This morning, I read an article by Kathleen Parker in The Pantagraph, our local newspaper titled, "Don't Dismiss Influences of Nancy Drew." She referred to Senator Charles Schumer introducing Sonia Sotomayor at last week's confirmation hearing for Supreme Court Justice, and mentioning her girl-hood love for the Nancy Drew books. Ah, a girl after my own heart! Like many other women of my age, I devoured the Nancy Drew Mystery Series, and delighted in this smart, clever, courageous young girl (there were so few to read about) who figured out plot twist after plot twist with her brains (girls had brains?), intuition and ingenuity. Without my knowledge, she became a role model for me in my own adventures. I think that because of Nancy Drew, I was more willing to take risks (i.e. going to Africa with the Peace Corps) than I might have otherwise been. She was my first woman hero. She also, like me, had a father who was a lawyer, and though very busy with his work, always made time for his daughter.
I loved the mystery of it all; what impressionable young girl wouldn't? The books, my favorites being: The Secret in the Old Attic, The Secret Staircase and The Secret of the Old Clock, provided the excitement my own life lacked going every day to a very strict Catholic school where everything was quite defined. Nancy Drew's life seemed so carefree, so adventurous, so exciting compared to mine. Many morning I woke up wishing that I was Nancy Drew with a mystery to solve. Instead, I was just Gretta Conlan with twenty spelling words to memorize.
Only later in life did I discover that there was not just one author of Nancy Drew, but a whole roomful of people sitting in a room cranking out these mysteries on a daily basis. And while this created a momentary pause in my thinking about the books, it did not reduce my enthusiasm for them.
Young girls today have so many women role models; when I was growing up in the 40ies and 50ies, we had very few. I don't think I could ever underestimate the value to me, of reading book after book (sometimes with a flashlight under my covers) of a young, heroic woman who influenced me to be much like her.
There are many websites for Nancy Drew but the one I went to was http://www.ndsleuths.com where you can read about the upcoming Nancy Drew Convention, September 30-October 4th, 2009 at the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas. One of these years, I might just attend to pay homage to one of the heros of my life.

2 comments:

CHC said...

Gretta, I too, was entralled withn all the Nancy Drew mysteries. I loved how she zipped aroung in her little blue roadster to solve one mystery after another, only after donning a fresh frock, of course. I envied the freedom she had to act on her hunches, utilize her problem solving techniques and get things done. My youthful wish, at the age of 10, was to own all the ND books. I recall standing in front of a wall of Nancy Drew books in Dayton's department store in Minneapolis planning to do just that. Alas, due to budgetary constraints of a 10 year old, that never happened. I had to rely on a Christmas or birthday gifts for some and loaning one of my few books to someone else in exchange for one I had not read. My favorites were The Secret of the Hidden Staircase (one of the ones that I still have), the Secret in the Old Clock and the Secret of Lilac Inn. Escaping into so many of her mysteries helped me navigate through those difficult years that followed the innocence of the the 5th grade.

v said...

Oh Greta, that was not good news. I thought Nancy was Nancy, a young woman actually having all those adventures. I am dissappointed. Almost as much as when I learned the gheisha was really some man, as in the "Memoires of .." You did pose an interesting question I'd never given much thought to. That is role models. Keep on bloggin. v