Translate

Thursday, July 9, 2009

I don't move on from food easily, and am still thinking about my subject of yesterday which brought to mind a quote I love; "Enjoy the ice cream while it's on your plate." I love when quotes use food to make a point, and this one is good, telling us to appreciate what we have while we have it; it might not last. A friend of mine used to tell me that I always gave directions in terms of restaurants...go four blocks to the McD's; turn left at the Dairy Queen; two more miles past the pasta place etc. Well yes; I am a city girl and never did understand directions of east, west, north and south! Anyway, I do enjoy good food, and certainly a good meal with a great glass of wine. But, enough about food....although my sister Maureen sent me a salad recipe today that I made for dinner using cut up pieces of watermelon, cut up tomatoes, red onion sliced thin and then red wine vinegar and olive oil all mixed together. Salt and pepper to taste. Put in Frig for several hours before serving. Delicious. Now, moving on to another favorite subject of mine...flowers. This morning, I went out into my yard to pick wild flowers to make a bouquet for my sister-in-law who was in a boat accident recently. I was amazed that I found so many different varieties of wild flowers (at least ten), and in so many different colors. I did not know that we had so many pretty "weeds" in our yard. I got out my wild flower book to look all of them up, and found most of them had very biological and scholarly names which I will not bore you with here....I remember being a Girl Scout and having to i.d. all the different trees around for which I earned a badge. Why not wild flowers??? I love flowers in all their uniqueness and beauty and often will take a picture with my phone camera when I see one I like. If I do this right, I will share some with you on this blog. My good writer friend Chris just came over for dinner tonight; we have a pact...if we feed him, he will help me with my computer and I just got him to download all my recent pictures so I expect to be able to share them with you. All the flowers are from our yard. In the meantime, I am going downstairs to enjoy the ice cream on the plate that my husband has just fixed for me.

No comments: